Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Unscheduled Post: Maryborough


Yesterday we made our second trip into the town of Maryborough, after a short and disappointing visit last week.  It was pretty high on my things-I-want-to-do-this-holidays list, and I'm really glad we made the time to revisit this town.  Maryborough is jam-packed with gorgeous old buildings, and all sorts of pieces of history.  Mary Poppins was 'born' here (or at least her lesser known author was), which makes it a pretty special spot as far as I'm concerned.  Big time fan right here!  

We wandered the streets, browsed through op shops (all very well picked over, sadly) and antique stores, gazed at buildings, and headed down to a riverside cafe where I found the best coffee I've had since we've been away.  Thank you Byron Bay Coffee Company (and Muddy Waters Cafe)!  Did you know that there is currently a crocodile loose on the Mary River?  Just like last time.  And unlike the whole snakes/spideys thing, I found it just a little bit exciting imagining that I could see a real life crocodile in the wild.  Of course, all we saw was a 'log-o-dile' (my MIL's words), but maybe next time...

6 comments:

  1. Oh those are such beautiful pictures, Stell! And beautifully collaged too. garland is looking totally adorable - I need to get a hug real soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - It's kind of strange for me to see these pics of Maryborough, I used to live there in fact spent the majority of my teenage years and early twenties there and living in Hervey Bay (where our son was born). So it's quite nostalgic for me :) You've made it look so pretty, I guess you see a place differently when you live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved visiting both these places, but I think I'd find it hard to live in either of them. Maryborough is my dream town in terms of era/buildings etc, but I know I wouldn't last a week living there! Gosh though, very lovely to visit! I could spend hours wandering the streets looking at those houses...

      Delete
  3. I can understand your fascination with crocodile spotting. Lovely pics by the way, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! It would be so fun/scary... Oh well, I'm sure there will be another one on the loose next time, seems to be a recurrent theme.

      Delete